World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

High Commissioner to the Philippines

Article Id: WHEBN0002082664
Reproduction Date:

Title: High Commissioner to the Philippines  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Paul V. McNutt, Governor-General of the Philippines, List of Governors of Michigan, Albert J. Engel, United States Ambassador to the Philippines
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

High Commissioner to the Philippines

High Commissioner to the Philippines Paul V. McNutt (left) makes a point to Secretary of War Harry H. Woodring during an official visit to Washington in 1938.

High Commissioner to the Philippines was the title of the personal representative of the President of the United States to the Commonwealth of the Philippines during the period 1935-1946. The office was created by the Tydings–McDuffie Act of 1934, which provided for a period of transition from direct American rule to the complete independence of the islands on July 4, 1946. It replaced the office of Governor-General of the Philippines, who had direct executive authority. Under the Commonwealth, executive power was held by an elected Filipino President. The role of the High Commissioner was largely ceremonial.

Only three individuals held the office of High Commissioner. They were:

Murphy had previously served as Governor-General. Sayre's tenure was interrupted by the Japanese occupation of the Philippines during World War II. McNutt became the first United States Ambassador to the Philippines after Philippine independence in 1946.

High Commissioner's Residence

With the inauguration of the Philippine Commonwealth, Malacañan Palace was turned over to the President of the Philippines, necessitating a new home for the highest American government official in the United States. A new location was found along now-Roxas Boulevard and a High Commissioner's Residence was built. According to the book titled Manila Americans by Lewis Gleeck. "On April 1, 1937, McNutt arrived (in Manila) with Mrs. McNutt and a sixteen year old daughter. Since the relinquishment of Malacañang, there had been no official residence for the High Commissioner, so (Paul) McNutt moved into El Nido, the sumptuous Dewey Boulevard residence of Attorney E.A. Perkins...".[1]

On January 2, 1942, as Japanese forces entered the city of American flag that flew at the High Commissioner's headquarters, burned it and buried its ashes to prevent its capture by the Japanese. On February 22, 1945, General Douglas MacArthur, Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in the Southwest Pacific Area, again raised the flag at the High Commissioner's headquarters after recapturing Manila.

The High Commissioner's headquarters today houses the American embassy in the Philippines.

The American Residence

The American Residence in Baguio

The American Residence in Baguio was built to be the summer home of the High Commissioner, to replace The Mansion that was the Governor-General's summer resident and that had been turned over to the Philippine president upon the inauguration of the Commonwealth.

See also

Notes

  1. ^ The residence is shown in 1938 in a short film by Andre de la Varre titled Manila, Queen City of the Pacific. A video of the film was uploaded to YouTube on May 6, 2008 by travelfilmarchive.

External links

  • Flag of the High Commissioner of the Philippines
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.