World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Local Council of the Russian Orthodox Church

 

Local Council of the Russian Orthodox Church

Local Council of the Russian Orthodox Church (Russian: Поместный собор Русской Православной Церкви ) is an assembly of bishops and other clergy and laity, and sometimes, the local church, or some of its areas for discussion and resolution of issues and affairs doctrine, religious and moral life, device management and discipline.

History

Before the 20th century, the term "local council" was used extensively in the Russian historical literature to refer to private (non-ecumenical) councils of antiquity. Although the term and was used in the 19th century, and also to refer to the local councils of the Russian Church,[1] and even in the phrase "all-Russian Local Council",[2] the widespread use of the term in the modern sense, it's the beginning of the 20th century in preparation for the All-Russian Council of the Orthodox Russian Church, which opened in August 1917, more than half of the council were laymen. Later regulations of the Russian Orthodox Church understand the local council as a collection of bishops and other representatives of the clergy, religious and laity of the local Russian Orthodox Church.

References

  1. ^ Полное собрание сочинений Никольского единоверческого монастыря настоятеля Архимандрита Павла, Т. 1. М., 1897. С. 407.
  2. ^ Свод газетных суждений о предполагаемом соборе в Риме Вестник Западной России. Книга VII, T.III. Вильна, 1868. С. 169.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.