World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Holy Trinity Parish, Lowell

Article Id: WHEBN0024445295
Reproduction Date:

Title: Holy Trinity Parish, Lowell  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lowell, Massachusetts, Basilica and Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Holy Trinity Parish, Lowell

Holy Trinity Parish
Location 340 High Street
Lowell, Massachusetts
Country  United States
Denomination Roman Catholic
Website Parish website
History
Founded 1904 (1904)
Founder(s) Polish immigrants
Dedication Holy Trinity
Consecrated August 19, 1904 (1904-08-19)
Administration
Archdiocese Boston
Province Boston
District Merrimack Pastoral Region
Division Vicariate II
Clergy
Archbishop Cardinal Seán Patrick O'Malley OFM Conv
Bishop(s) Very Reverend Arthur M. Coyle[1]
Pastor(s) Msgr. Stanislaw Kempa
Deacon(s) Fr. Stefan Papik
Laity
Organist(s) John Buxton

Holy Trinity Parish - designated for Polish immigrants in Lowell, Massachusetts, United States.

Founded in 1904. It is one of the Polish-American Roman Catholic parishes in New England in the Archdiocese of Boston.

History

Holy Trinity Parish of Lowell, Massachusetts started around 1893. With help of Fr. John Chmielinski, pastor of the Polish-American parish in South Boston, promised aid, a fund was started, and in 1903 land was purchased on High St. and in the spring of 1904, construction works have started. The architect was T. Edward Sheehan from Boston. In June 1904 the Archbishop Stanislaw Williams commissioned Fr. Alexander Ogonowskiego to live in Lowell and the canonical mission to organize and establish a Polish-American church. There were about 80 Polish families at that time.

On August 19, 1904, Bishop Allen of Mobile diocese, made the consecration of the new church.

In 1907 completed the construction of schools and it was placed under the patronage of the youth saint, St. Stanislaus Kostka. It was the first Polish parochial school in the Archdiocese of Boston. In 1910, nuns from the Congregation of the Felician Sisters of Buffalo, New York, began work at the school.

In 1927 five acres of land was purchased for their own cemetery, across from St. Patrick cemetery.

After World War II were erected a beautiful marble Passion (Crucifixion scene) and the altar, the place where every year is celebrated Mass. during the celebrations Memorial Day. At the base of the altar lie the remains of parishioners, who paid the supreme sacrifice for the country.

Today the parish continues to be a beacon of hope and light. In 2004 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston attempted to close Holy Trinity Parish after closing its parish school. The parish reluctantly appealed to the Vatican and was granted to stay open. The parish continues to be open and is a fully active and traditional Catholic parish. It is open to all ethnic groups although the Polish community holds a special place. It has an active Holy Name Society, choir, Our Lady Solidarity, and strong Religious Education program. All are welcome.

Pastors

  • Fr. Stanislaw Aleksander Ogonowski (1904–1955)
  • Fr. Edward Naguszewski (1955–1976)
  • Fr. John Abucewicz (1976]-1995)
  • Fr. Jon C. Martin (1995–1997)
  • Fr. Stanislaw Kempa (1997-)

Parish organizations

Parish Schools

  • St. Stanislaus School.[4]

Closed

References

  1. ^ About-The-Archdiocese
  2. ^ Holy Name Society is an example for all men on how to raise Christ to every aspect of human activity and the local community.
  3. ^ Sodality tries to establish an example of the virtues of love and holiness for all the young women of the parish community.
  4. ^ Catholic community school with classes from preschool to eighth

Bibliography

  • Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish - Centennial 1893-1993
  • The Official Catholic Directory in USA

External links

  • Holy Trinity - Diocesan information
  • Holy Trinity - ParishesOnline.com
  • Holy Trinity - TheCatholicDirectory.com
  • Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.